Friday, May 9, 2008

Life Lessons from a thirteen month old

I have been reflecting on the many life lessons I have learned from my precious son Ethan.
Here are just a few of the things God has taught me through my son:

*Enjoy the little things in life: It is amazing how interested Ethan can be in the everyday things of life. He gets the biggest kick out of things found around the house: water bottles, markers, paper.

* Be quick to forgive: When Ethan is told no or does not get his way he will pout and cry for a minute or two and then all is forgiven. He does not hold grudges and forgets easily. Ah, if we were all this way!!

* Take time to appreciate nature: Ethan is so interested in the things of nature (animals, trees, ponds) and loves to be outside. God has designed this world so wonderfully and I often forget to take time to simply enjoy His creation.

* Eat when your hungry, sleep when your tired, and live life to the fullest in between!!

*Don't be afraid to express your true feelings. Josh and I never have to wonder if Ethan is happy, sad, frustrated, or tired. Ethan definitely lets us know how he feels!

* Try, try, and try again! As Ethan learns to walk he will take a few steps and then fall, however Ethan pops right back up and walks again! This happens numerous times throughout the day but Ethan never gives up!

* Show those you love how you feel. Josh and I never have to wonder if Ethan loves us. It is obvious in his excitement when he sees us in the mornings, when Josh gets home from work, or when I get back from running an errand.

* Learn something new everyday. Ethan is constantly learning and exploring new things. Who says we have to stop learning once we become adults?

Matthew 18:1-3 - At that time the disciples came to Jesus and said, "Who then is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" And He called a child to Himself and set him before them, and said "Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. "Whoever then humbles himself as this child, he is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. "And whoever receives one such child in my name receives Me.

I am absolutely humbled and honored to have the amazing opportunity to be Ethan's mom and I look forward to the many more lessons I will learn along the way!! Happy Mother's Day to you all.

No comments: